Since its beginnings in 1888, the YWCA NorthEastern NY (NENY) has been a constant innovator in providing programs and services to meet the changing needs in the community. The YWCA NENY is a charter member of the YWCA USA, the oldest and largest women’s membership organization. The two main program service areas of the YWCA NENY are:
Youth & Family Services:
- Early Learning Centers offer full-day daycare. Both sites, Washington Ave & Schenectady County Community College, are NAEYC (National Association for the Education of Young Children) accredited and NYS licensed early childhood education centers.
- The Innovative Program component offers comprehensive, land-based health & fitness programs.
- The ENCORE – Take Charge of Your Health program offers breast education programs for women.
Women & Family Services:
- Domestic Violence Programs provide a 24-hour Hotline, shelter for battered victims and their children, individual and group counseling and advocacy services.
- Each year, approximately 200 homeless and/or very low-income women call the YWCA NENY “home” through the Housing Program. Support services for the women include advocacy, counseling, support groups, information and referrals, health and recreation opportunities and an emergency food pantry and clothing closet.
- The YES – YWCA Employment Services component is a workforce development program designed to assist domestic violence victims and homeless/formerly homeless women in obtaining employment and education.
- The CA$H component, Creating Assets, $avings and Hope provides tax preparation through VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) sites and financial education services.